Saturday, February 7, 2009

Attack of the 80's

This past week has been quite interesting, to say the least. As usual, there were several nights where I thought I might get a decent amount of sleep, but that just didn't seem to happen. Thankfully, I got to sleep in today, which is a plus... and I needed it, considering Friday.

Friday at school was craziness... I had been feeling a little under the weather on Thursday, but by Friday I had what seemed like a full blown case of the common cold... constant sneezing, runny nose, etc. One of the perks of being a teacher, I guess... you occasionally fall prey one of the gazillion bugs going around, which means that you have successfully fought off a gazillion minus one bugs... so, in the midst of my defeat, I still feel somewhat justified.. Germ X is a wonderful, wonderful thing!

So I find myself working at my computer, while my 7th period is taking a test. I have resorted to shoving kleenex up my nose so that I can somewhat function... and the kids think it's hilarious... and, truthfully, although I feel horrid, I'm laughing at myself, too.

After school, I went to visit with Nunez, my roommate back at UGA, who came into Gwinnett to visit with family. We had a good time catching up with each other, while he joined in on my errands, such as picking up some generic, Rite-Ait brand DayQuil. I had an 80's party to go to that night, and I didn't want to bow out because I felt sick. Fortunately, after the medicine kicked in, I felt much better.

I decked out in white jeans, white tennis shoes, and a retro polyester shirt that I happened to have in my closet. Also wore a Members Only jacket I found deep in a coat closet at home. Nice!

We met at Sparkles, a local skating rink. Last time I was there I believe was in elementary school. I soon remembered why the last time I was there was so long ago... I was terrified of skating. You would think I would have remembered that BEFORE I committed to going to the party. But I'm special that way. In the new lingo we use in education, I'm 'exceptional'.

Not only did I get skates, I went 'balls out' and got roller blades. Put them on, tried standing up, and yikes. Everyone said, 'Don't worry! If you can ice skate, you can roller blade!' I can't ice skate, either... last time I remember doing that was when I slammed my head into the ice by falling flat on my back... Word to the wise: don't lock your knees!

Well, I managed to get in the rink, and at first I didn't fall at all.... Not that I looked graceful... I had perfected the 'Spastic White Boy'. That was my dance move, and I was all about it! I finally got to the point where I could somewhat push off with both feet, not just lean on my left leg and use my right leg for all movement. All the while, kids one half my size were flying around me... so what? A couple friends offered to help me, but at least one of them (sorry Brittany!) I ended up taking out when I lost my footing. HA!

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I'm enough of a stubborn arse that if I fall down, I keep getting back up and trying again. It did result in me getting better, but I'm laughing at the bruises I now have on my knees and wrists... my right wrist looks particularly banged up, but besides being a little sensitive, it feels fine.

Humorously, they played one of my favorite songs while I was out on the floor: 'Footloose'. Ever since last night, that song has taken on an ENTIRELY new meaning!

2 comments:

  1. um, i can't even skate on the little kiddie skates. wheels should not be on feet. wheels should be on cars driven by feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After that night, I agree wholeheartedly... but do you feel the same way about ice skating? :-)

    ReplyDelete