Monday, February 2, 2009

Frito Pie!

A story I wanted to share today... and now's about the only time I'm going to get... after all, laundry is in the dryer, the day is about done, and I'm not grading... all things point to this moment as being an excellent blogging opportunity.

(Before the story, I wanted to add a humorous anecdote. Went to the gym... was about to give up on the treadmill until a song came across on my iPod from way back when... DCTalk's 'Jesus Freak'.. back in high school that was the 'anthem'... you know, it's MUCH more difficult to headbang whilst running on a 3.5 grad inclined treadmill than I had imagined... needless to say, I had an extra burst of energy.

Also thought I must have looked graceful when I was stretching out today after the jog. I was stretching my quads and standing on one foot (the infamous 'Stork Stand'). Thankfully no one laughed as I was losing my balance and was hoping on one foot all over the gym... I may have looked like an idiot, but I was not about to let go of my other foot if I could help it!... That's my little story.. on the the main article)



I want to speak to you about something very close to my heart: my stomach.

Last Friday afternoon I was in a poor state... I was low on sleep, high on stress, and trying to get a ton of grading done. Unfortunately, I was unable to get much accomplished at all, since there were tons of 'little things' I had to do... fill out this form, deliver this paper to someone's mailbox. Answer this e-mail...etc., etc., etc.

All of the sudden, I felt horrid. My stomach turned... I was feeling like I was going to puke (for no reason). I put my work up, turned my computer off, and packed up, taking as much stuff with me to my car as I could. But I had to walk to the mail room first to drop off a couple forms. On my way there, I saw a blessed sight.

There, by the old gym, was a table decked out with foodstuffs. It was Senior Night for the Wrestling team! I walked by, saw the smörgåsbord, and held my breath. I saw chips, Airheads, Skittles, M&M's, even pre-made sandwiches in Ziploc bags! But then I saw a little crock pot... YES! They have Frito Pie! I was really hungry now!

Frito Pie is an entree served best at high school extracurricular functions. Not sure why, but it always tastes better when a team mom puts it together... probably b/c mothers know best. I ran to the mailroom, threw the forms in their cubbyholes, and hurried back. I shot a smile, asked for some Frito Pie, and while talking with some students I knew in the area, I put on my best 'I'm a poor, young teacher' face. Talked about how hard I was grading papers, and how exhausted I was... I saw the team mom open TWO bags of fritos. YES!

She knew how to best serve Frito Pie: Fritos below for a crust, then chili. Fritos on top of that, then more chili! And then came the crown jewel... nacho cheese! It is a well known fact that a good capping of nacho cheese is necessary to balance the chili. It also serves to hold in the heat (so vital on such a cold day!). But most importantly, it adds CHEESE! CHEESE! YES!

I was handed the Frito pie.. (a steal at whatever I paid for it...), I gave a smile, thanked everyone very much, and went on my way to the car. I would have skipped all the way to the car in my sheer joy, but if I did that, I would have risked dripping some of the cheese off the side of the bowl. I'm not sure how I made it to the car, actually... all I remember is eagerly diving into that delicious styrofoam bowl of Frito heaven, and that, when I looked up from my empty bowl, I was standing in front of my car.

God is good. All the time.

2 comments:

  1. how did i get through high school without ever having frito pie? obviously i need to teach high school. my life will be incomplete without frito pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, YOU NEVER HAD FRITO PIE?!?! This has got to be remedied! Next time you're in Gwinnett, you are eating FRITO PIE!

    ReplyDelete